Monday, October 8, 2007

Locks of Love?? Stick it...

Why are people so generous with other people's assets? If they want to be generous, they need to be so with their own assets!

My daughters all have long hair, down to their waists and beyond, because my wife and I have never cut their hair other than to trim the ends. Maintaining it's been a pain sometimes, but worth it because we - and they - like it. I'm ready to shoot the next person that says, "Your hair is so pretty, you should donate it to Locks of Love." Some of them even get somewhat belligerent when my girls decline their suggestions. I've come damned close to publicly slapping a couple of women for their "generosity." Even making comments that insinuate that they are 'selfish' for not caring about others! "But they need it!" If any of my girls wanted to cut their hair, I've no doubt that's what they'd do; however, as long as they want their long hair, it's theirs. It's not for anyone else to give away, it's theirs and theirs alone. These same mouthey people almost always have short hair - not because they donated theirs, but because (they say when asked, but generally volunteer that) maintaining that much hair is too much hassle and they just can't personally deal with it!

Where is their Holier-than-Thou generosity when it comes to them giving of themselves?? If they really care that much, why don't they learn to take care of long hair so they can donate theirs? If even once I'd heard this from a lady that had donated her own hair I wouldn't be so steamed about it, but I haven't yet. Not once. Just a bunch of busy-bodies that want to feel good without any inconvenience to themselves.

Maybe I should feel pity for them instead of disdain. Perhaps there isn't enough of themselves to share after all, so they feel they have to live vicariously through others that really do matter.



Chuck Brick.